Sunday, July 8, 2007

While I can promise you neither of us have an English accent yet, we are starting to use a few of their words. I thought I would share a few of them with you. Some of these seem so stereotypical that I often find myself giggling when I hear them used.

Bin it = Throw it in the trash
Rubbish = Trash (used both literally and figuratively)
A Dog's Dinner = Used to say something is ugly
Chalk & Cheese = Used like we use "night and day"
Blokes = Guys
Cheekey (as in Cheekey Monkey) = Sneaky
Pull = Hook up
Blimey = Yikes
Jumper = Sweater
Dear Me = Oh no
Gob Smacked = Shocked
Dodgey = Sketchy
Top up = Refill
Squash = Juice
Lemon aide = 7up or Sprite
Bacon = Ham
Diary = Calendar
Singing from the Same Hymn Sheet = On the Same Page
Nackered = Exhausted


Another surprise is they swear here like crazy - in the office, on tv, in front of kids, etc. Basically, swear words are used not differently than regular words.

No comments: