Thursday, July 12, 2007

An Unconventional 4th of July



As Greg mentioned I spent my 4th of July cleaning out my flooded office. The day before, at about 5pm it got very dark outside and then we had about twenty minutes of hail the size of marbles. It was so loud we could barely hear each other talk as we all stood at the widows looking at this Biblical type of occurrence. It was all very exciting until it got a little too exciting and the water started pouring in from the roof and the ceiling tiles started coming down and the lights started burning out.

We quickly sumized that electricity and water are not a good mix and started to evacuate only to realize there was no place to go...it was dangerous outside too - not only the falling hail, but there was now about 2" of hail on the street making it very slippery - it looked like it had snowed.

After it finally slowed I rolled up my white pants and headed for home in my heels - the Underground would be a mess. A small miracle occurred when I was able to hail a cab and we headed out into the ice covered pond that made up the streets near the office. I've heard it took others as much as 4 hours to get home, but most of my co-workers headed to the local pub to wait it out.

The building interior is in bad shape. We had about 4" of water inside. We all assembled the next morning to determine a game plan. After a few hours throwing away tons of wet, dirty everything (cd's, coffee, tons of paper) I headed back to the flat and we are all working remotely until the building is fit to return. Never a dull moment here in London!

No comments: