Thursday, September 11, 2008

Things NOT to say while in the UK

Needless to say I've said a few things in our time here, in particular at the office, that don't mean the same thing to the English is as the do at home. Fortuatley, the English have a great sense of humor and my colleagues are always amused and never offended by my gaffs.

Here are a few of them to avoid should you find yourself on this side of the pond. I will let you use your imagination on what they mean...

- Fender bender

- Double fisting, as in carrying two drinks at once (something the English do a lot of)

- 'That's a big box'

- Right up your/my alley

- Trumped, as in 'he was trumped by his opponets' supirior play'

- The verb 'to toss' any way

- Khaki pants

- Fanny or fanny pack

- Knob

- Never hold up two fingers - palm out (like the peace symbol) is okay, but never do it with your palm facing you...basically the way americans would indicate they wanted two of something.

No comments: