Sunday, April 27, 2008

Scotland Golf Day 2 and Days 3-7

Day 2 - The Old Course


We wake up to a glorious morning (it’s a little cold and pretty windy but no rain) and head downstairs for breakfast. There is a Starbucks in the town, but the concierge told us it didn’t open until after 9am “or so”. Sounded suspect to me, but we suck it up and figure we can pay the £18 fee for breakfast once during our stay. DW dives in with the full English Breakfast with baked beans and sausages. I snag a couple of apples for food on the course, but Dave has the brilliant idea of grabbing a couple of (small) boxes of cereal as well as a chocolate muffin. After a pot of coffee between the two of us, we are awake enough to grab the hotel shuttle in time for our golf lesson. Now, DW is normally anti-lesson because his swing is pretty fundamentally sound. In contrast, my swing is a little more temperamental shall we say. However, when I was booking the golf winter package (3 days of golf for £120 including one round on the Old Course) they were also marketing an hour long lesson where you could learn how to play links style golf. DW and I were both thinking learning to hit 50 yard putts, chipping with a fairway wood, playing the bump and run, knockdown 3 irons, etc. Lesson starts and the pro (David Armitage – nice guy but couldn’t have been more than 28) asks what we want to focus on. We say how to play links golf and his response was don’t play when it’s really windy and avoid the bunkers. After that, it was just a normal lesson, a good lesson, but nothing unique to links golf whatsoever. To DW’s utter surprise, the pro did not fall to his knees and praise DW’s swing. He actually had a few material changes. After hitting some balls, we headed inside for a putting lesson with a fancy laser-based system. DW made about 5 putts with his faulty form while I didn’t make one with far superior form. This is a trend that needs to stop. Anyway, the major change the pro makes to my stroke is my grip – I’ve “got Tiger’s grip now”. He makes about 6 changes to DW’s swing, the final change being the grip and to my disappointment – he is also given Tiger’s grip. Oh yeah, from the small talk, we learn that the pro goes to Starbucks every morning. I ask what time it opens and he says, “early – I get there at 7 and they’re already open.” So much for that concierge – although everything worked out in the end as it turns out the breakfast was included in the rate so we spent each morning loading for the day. It was little things like that falling into place that made us feel like we had karma on our side.

Onto the course. We ask the pro how to get to the first tee of the Old Course. We were expecting them to have some fancy shuttle or something, but he basically says – walk along the 16th and 17th and cut across the 18th fairway and you’ll run into the starter’s booth. Our first insight into Scottish golf – they are much less formal/judgemental than Americans in terms of golf. No fancy clubhouses, manicured grounds, fences keeping the public out, etc. – in fact, there’s a road – a public road – that leads to the beach that runs right through the 18th fairway of the Old Course. Crazy. Here we are on our way to the starter.


The Old Course was solid. It wasn’t what I expected at all. Playing it the first time, you don’t think it’s that hard because the fairways are pretty wide and the rough isn’t a foot tall. We’ve been told that the more you play it, the more you come to appreciate the strategy and shot making that is required. Anyway, we had to play off of these fairway mats (basically a small strip of driving range mat that we carried around with us), but you didn’t have to use them if you were 5 feet off the fairway. I’d say that we applied this exception liberally. I didn’t feel too badly about it, because the rule was only supposed to be in effect for a few more days. The greens were enormous which led to a lot of greens-in-regulation, but also a lot of 3 putts. Play was fairly slow so we joined up with a father-son twosome. They were locals so they pay £125 for a year of golfing. As soon as we heard that we put St. Andrews on my possible list of retirement locations. They were also the first of many to make a couple of comments that we heard multiple times: first – “are you guys students?” and second – “Seattle? I love that Frasier.”

Tally for the Old Course:
GSH: 87, 12 GIRs and a whopping 45 putts.
DWT: Need from DWT.
Skins: GH – 10, DW – 8
First tee


Don't worry about that hernia - take plenty of sand...

DW bangin' one off the hotel back into the fairway
Need to focus to hit the 18th fairway

Back to work...

Day 3 - The New Course
OK, I’ll state the obvious and admit that I’m very late in posting this, but I gotta get it written before we leave and our time in London is quickly coming to an end. Also, there were some complaints that I created a new post for Day 2 and thus causing confusion, so I’ve just added the rest of the days to the Day 2 post. Shouldn’t be too bad as my guess is that the rest of the posts will be considerably shorter since I can barely remember what I had for breakfast much less what happened 6 months ago. Anyway, onto the posting…

We head down for breakfast and it’s another “full English breakfast” for DWT along with a couple of muffins for the course. Dave has officially earned himself the new nickname of Muffin Top for the remainder of the trip. Today it’s the New Course and a couple of weathered Scots are teeing off in front of us complete with plaid knickers and everything. As we are getting set to tee off, a couple of guys come tearing up to the tee in a golf cart. This was the only cart we saw at St. Andrews as most people hire caddies or just carry their clubs (they don’t even allow carts on the Old Course). Anyway “the DBs in the cart” – as they came to be known, were tragic. They drove up near the greens, in the rough and alongside the bunkers and were right up on us eventhough there was nowhere to go. It seemed like they were in a huge hurry like they were trying to squeeze in a round before a flight or something. Muffin Top and I grew tired of their antics and decided to offer to let them play through. They quickly accepted the offer and we enjoyed the role reversal of playing right up behind them because when they asked the old Scots whether they could play through they were met with a chuckling “piss off” (or maybe it was something a little more colourful).
Fired up for the New Course

Not bad huh

The DBs in the cart

I saw another really cool thing on the New Course that illustrates the difference between Scottish golf and American golf. A couple of guys in the fairway over had their dog with them. He was just trotting along next to his owner. Now, I don’t think I’d try this with Morgan because she would try to chase after the ball, but they’d never allow this on a course the stature of St. Andrews in the U.S.

If you look closely you might see the dog

The New Course was another great course at St. Andrews, but if memory serves, we liked the Old Course a little bit more. I had a nice front nine, but the back was tough.

Tally for the New Course:
GSH: 86, 5 GIRs and a pedestrian 36 putts.
DWT: Need from DWT.
Skins: GH – 7, DW – 10

Day 4 - Rain, Wind and Jubilee Course
So, as we were driving from Edinburgh to St. Andrews I heard something on the radio about “gale force winds” and today was the day that the storm hit. As we came to learn, gale force is actually a technical term (google it) where your “progress is generally impeded”. Unfortunately, it wasn’t just windy. It was pouring down rain so we dressed as warmly and dryly as we could, stuffed our pockets with “little hottie” hand warmers and headed out to the Jubilee course. We should have known it was gonna be a tough day when we were greeted in the first fairway by a foursome of locals heading back to the clubhouse saying, “got the course to yourselves lads!”
Could be a tough day


I actually started out OK although the wind was comical. Most memorable shot I hit was a 3 wood from an elevated tee on a 140 yard par 3. Had to aim about 100 yards right. Two putt for par. After that, I learned first hand the meaning of “water resistant” versus “water proof” pants. After about 45 minutes my pants had soaked through, and while it was uncomfortable to have wet underwear, the worst part was that I couldn’t keep my hands warm by putting them in my pockets. Pretty soon I was whining incessantly. Tried to do everything to keep warm including jumping jacks but it was a lost cause. Probably funniest point was when I was taking a practice swing and I lost a hold of the club. It looked like I had thrown the club into the sea. Luckily there was a lower tee box where I was able to retrieve my 5 iron. That’s about all I remember about the Jubilee course. My scorecard disintegrated, but DW had me down for a 43/51 for a big old 94. I was just happy that I didn’t lose any fingers to frost bite.

We drove on the road that cuts through the 18th fairway of the Old Course and then headed back to Edinburgh with the heat on high. We also established some theme music to the trip because the radio station kept playing “Don’t Go Breakin My Heart” and we heard the ridiculous “United States of Whatever”. It was gonna be tough to dry out our stuff, but I spotted and snagged a space heater from the hall and that was huge. Needless to say, I immediately put waterproof pants on my Christmas list.
Strategy #1 for drying our stuff
Luckily, I snagged the space heater...



Day 5 - North Berwick - sweet!
After drying out the clothes and doing a bit of a pub-crawl in Edinburgh we headed east to North Berwick. This course was recommended to me by the pro at West Seattle and I have to say this was the most enjoyable round of golf I’ve ever had. The course was great, the people were really friendly and it was just a ton of fun. It was really really really windy again so scoring was pretty difficult, but there was no rain so no whining out of me on this day. I’m not poetic enough to do the place justice so I’ll just throw in a bunch of photos.

A wee bit of wind lads

If you look closely you can see the rock wall that snakes through the course


The wall is pretty big factor on this hole

Tally for North Berwick:
GSH: 94 (ugh, thought I had done better), 6 GIRs and too many (40) putts.
DWT: Need from DWT.
Skins: GH – 4, DW – 14

Day 6 - Carnoustie and last day in Scotland
Headed up north to Dundee to play Carnoustie. I must say, I didn’t love this course. Could have been that it just didn’t compare to North Berwick in its character. Also, they had a temporary green set up on the famous 18th so that was a bummer. Probably didn’t help that my swing was an absolute mess on the front nine – leading to a mind boggling 53. For me, the most memorable part of this course were the bunkers and the train that runs right next to the course. Anyway, I clearly was out of it because my score card doesn’t have any stats – just a 53 on the front and 44 on the back. At least I broke 100.
Number 1 at Carnoustie




Sadly our time in Scotland had come to an end. We made it back to the airport with time for a couple of last pints as Dave tried to get his PC to power up. It was a fantastic trip where everything seemed to go right (except for the rain on day 4, but we really can’t complain because it started snowing right after we left) but at the same time it was good to get back to London to see Tiff and the Doodle. Dave’s flight back home was the next day but we were able to squeeze in a round at Royal Wimbledon before I dropped him off on the Picadilly line to Heathrow. Hopefully we get a chance to make it back to Scotland soon.

No comments: